Hello beautiful girls, today we thought we would give you all a little more information about Anxiety! Anxiety is a word that is used so commonly these days, so at Standing Strong, we thought we would give you girls a little bit more information about what it is and how it presents itself in teens and adults
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety can be described as an UNCOMFORTABLE feeling, usually relating to an event or situation.
This event or situation could either be something that is going to happen, something that has already happened or something that your mind has come up with all by itself (our imaginations getting ahead of us).
At times our mind is very good at creating situations that may happen in the future. Our mind is pretty much telling us to worry about something that may or may not happen.
Everyone experiences Anxiety differently in their bodies and minds.
What are the typical physical signs/symptoms of Anxiety?
- Fast breathing
- Increased heart rate
- Getting the “shakes”
- Getting “butterflies” or feeling sick in your stomach
- Aches in your body from tensing your muscles (neck, back, shoulders)
- Sweating an abnormal amount
- Feeling light-headed or dizzy
What are the typical signs/symptoms of Anxiety brought on by your mind?
- Worrying about a lot of different things a lot of the time
- Not being able to control those worries
- Trouble concentrating or focusing on something
- Feeling uncomfortable/restless or annoyed
- Having the inability to relax
- Avoiding people or places (i.e. school and social events lie parties)
- Spending a lot less time with family and friends
- Trouble falling asleep at night, due to a racing mind
- Issues with waking in the middle of the night and losing much needed sleep.
Now girls, there are a number of different Anxiety disorders such as; Generalized Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Separation Anxiety, Agoraphobia, Panic Disorder and specific phobias. These all have one thing in common… There is a feeling of overwhelming worry and discomfort that may stop us from doing activities we love, seeing people we wish we saw more often and trying new things.
If you or a friend are experiencing feelings of Anxiety, there is no need to panic…you are not in that boat alone! There are natural ways to deal with these overwhelming worries! Keep an eye out for our next few blogs on Anxiety; how to ease it, how to support anxious friends and information on panic attacks.
For extra support, peer support, motivation and inspiration when it comes to overcoming Anxious feelings please join us on our Club Site www.standingstrong.club
Do I have Anxiety?